I don't think I posted about this, probably because it was too depressing, but Jeremy got laid off a few weeks ago. Yes, from the Surveying job he just started 2 months prior. They didn't give him any notice, no severence pay, didn't even throw him a bone and give him the wee bit of vacation time he'd accumulated, just cut him a check for his last day and said, "See ya!". Since I had switched to temping at my job we were getting our health insurance through his new job, so of course we were freaking out. Not having health insurance for our 4 month old baby? Unacceptable! So there was a few weeks of panic, and scrambling to find full time work for either Jeremy or me so that ONE of us would get benefits for Mikayla, and alas, even some filling out of applications for state health insurance. I know there's nothing wrong with that, and I'm glad it's there for people who need it, but I just felt funny about it, like I was writing down on paper that we couldn't provide for Mikayla. It was just a pride thing that I had to get over I guess. :(
Anyways, after all this frenzy of activity and worry, Jeremy came home yesterday with the most beautiful piece of paper I'd ever seen: a job offer from the Surveying firm he'd been temping on and off for since he was in school. They wanted to hire him! Full time! With benefits!! Ahhhh, we were SO happy! We had hoped they would be able to hire him but figured it wouldn't be until after the new year at the earliest, and probably not until another employee left (or met with an unfortunate "accident" a la Tonya Harding style - don't think I didn't consider it for a moment!). He really likes this firm, it's a family run company literally 2 minutes away from our house so the commute is a breeze, and they're all really nice and eager to teach him all about the business. Let's just hope this job sticks! And now, a couple pics of Mikayla and her loving daddy...

2 comments:
Oh Deb, that had to be so terrifying. I'm so happy things ended up working out for you guys.
I'm so Happy for you guys, Deb!
Post a Comment