Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Boobs: they're not just fun to look at!

Last night we had our final baby classes. I took a prep for breastfeeding class, and Jeremy had a fatherhood class. The instructor started out the class giving us alllllll the reasons why we should breastfeed - I thought it was a little unnecessary. I mean, we're here, it's obvious we want to breastfeed, there's no need to convince us. After that she went over how the milk is comes in, good positions to hold the baby, and how to make sure the baby is correctly latched on. We watched a video showing correct breastfeeding techniques and talked a bit about problems that can come up and how to resolve them. Then we talked a bit about breastpumps and milk storage and that was it.

I'm glad I took the class, I really don't know much about breastfeeding but I know I want to give it my best shot when Mikayla gets here - it's better for her, better for me, and yeah it saves a lot of money too! :) One thing that they mentioned in the video we watched is that in America we're so shy about breastfeeding that most people have never seen a woman breastfeed so they don't know what it should look like when a baby is breastfeeding correctly. Our instructor said that women she consults who are originally from other countries take up breastfeeding much easier than Americans do because they're around it so much so they know what to expect.

Jeremy said he really liked his fatherhood class - they talked about things like the primary needs of a baby, how to do some basic care and how to handle it when your temper starts to get to you. I have a feeling they talked about how to deal with kooky wives but he wouldn't confess about that one - they were probably sworn to secrecy. :) And that's it, we're done! Now it's just prepping the house for the baby and waiting til the big day! :)

0 comments: