Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The bun will continue to bake...

So given that I feel like I'm carrying around a very large, juicy watermelon in my tummy I had asked my doc at my last appointment if we could check the size of the baby. I had an ultrasound last week and heard back for my doctor this morning. He said the estimated weight of the baby at this point is just under 9 pounds (oh my sweet jeebus!). I asked what that meant as far as being induced or if this might mean a C-section, and he said he discussed it with another OB and they looked over similar cases and they both think it would be best to let me go into labor on my own. He feels my labor will be more effective and my body will be more ready for it, but he plans to be very vigilant about keeping my labor on track and "not letting me push forever or use instruments to force the baby to progress". He said in the past they've found that induction at this point didn't really help avoid the baby getting stuck or having it end up as a C-section if that's what was going to end up happening anyway, so he'd rather I go into labor on my own and just see if I can do it before intervening. I feel pretty good about the plan I think, since it gives me a chance to go into labor naturally but they're keeping the baby's size in mind if plans have to change. Hopefully she will decide to make her appearance sooner than later, but for now, we wait… :)

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Just under 9 pounds?! You do know they grow at about a pound a week during the last month, right? I most sincerely wish you the best of luck.