I had my 35 week appointment yesterday. They did the usuals: measured all my vitals (everything looks great, they said my blood pressure is awesome), did a couple tests and my doctor listened to the baby's heartbeat - she wiggled a lot while he was trying to find it, little brat! He said that she appears to be head down which is good, that means she's in the right position for her big debut.
I had mentioned to him before that I was a little concerned about the size of the baby - both Jeremy and I were big babies and I feel downright huge, so after feeling my stomach a bit my doc said, "Well, it does feel like she's on the bigger side. Let's go ahead and schedule you for an ultrasound to see if we need to be concerned." He also had me take another glucose test to see if I might have developed gestational diabetes. I guess since I'm on the lower end as far as average weight gain GD might be one reason the baby is bigger than normal. Or, we could have freakish Amazon genes somewhere in our family histories.
After my appointment I felt really down for some reason. I have a lot of things to be happy about - my health is good, the baby is doing well - I guess it might be that I'm scared enough about giving birth without the added fright of trying to push out the equivalent of a watermelon. The bigger she is, the more chance I have of being induced and even having a C-section so that worries me too. I think I'm also frustrated about a lot of other things - our stupid crib is still out of stock even though it was "supposed" to be in Monday, I feel like we have a ton left to do to get ready for the baby, lots of aches and pains the further along I get, Jeremy's work situation after he graduates is still up in the air, and it didn't help that when I called to schedule my ultrasound appointment (the doc wants me seen within 2 weeks) they said they're completely booked up til the middle of June - my insurance company is horrible about making you wait for ultrasounds. My doctor is going to see what he can do to get me in sooner since there's not much point in having an ultrasound a week before I'm due anyways. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll get me in and see that the baby isn't too huge! :)
Quick update - good news: they got me in for the ultrasound! It's scheduled next week, we'll see how it goes. The bad news: my doctor said I failed my 1 hour glucose test. He's having me go in later this week for a 3 hour test (they give you something sugary to drink and test your blood sugar every hour for 3 hours). I'm worried, but glad we're testing so we can address the problem if there is one. I didn't expect this to come up so late in the game though!
p.s. I guess I had this blog set so only Blogspot members could leave comments - I adjusted that so anyone can, so all you non-members can feel free to say hello if you like! :)
Tumbling headfirst into the wonderful and terrifying world of motherhood...
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Oh sweetie!!! I can understand your worry and concern!!! No matter what way that Mikayla comes, it's going to be okay. No matter how you do it, you're going to be fully medicated. So, if you're pushing, you'll have an epidural - if you go C-section, you won't feel a darn thing except pressure!
I would be scared and nervous and upset too...so I know it's no consolation when I say, "you'll be okay" - and my SILs both LOVED their C-Sections, they'd pick that way if they had it to do over again...so maybe that's a good thing!
I know this is a scary time for you. I was induced early with Tyler because he had a freakishly large head (something you can relate to, no?). Childbirth is scary enough your first time through without this additional worry. But it sounds like you have a good doctor who's on top of things. I'm not worried about you one bit. You are a strong woman who is capable of so much more than you think.
Whether Mikayla makes her appearance via c-section, induction, or going into labor the old fashioned way, ultimately it won't matter because she'll be here. Holding that little treasure in your arms will make the method of birth irrelevant. And I just know you'll do great, no matter what.
I didn't know gestational diabetes could have such a late onset. That's a little scary. Keep us updated!
Post a Comment